#Tennis Controversial Tomic to return to US open

0
537

Bernard Tomic is set to return to tennis at the U.S. Open, ending an extended absence from the game that has seen the Australian’s world ranking plummet to 146. The 24-year-old, once touted a future top 10 player, has not played since Wimbledon where he caused uproar by declaring himself “bored” with the game after a listless first round defeat to Mischa Zverev. He sparked further condemnation last month when he told Australian television that he was only in tennis for the money and had won plenty of it even without trying hard. Tomic’s manager told Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper that he would play in the grand slam at Flushing Meadows and had also entered tournaments in each of the last six weeks of the ATP season. Tomic has withdrawn from his last four tournaments, pushing his ranking to depths that will require him to battle on lower-tier tours or beg for wildcards from tournament organizers next year. The U.S. Open opens begins on Aug. 28 in New York.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here